AKROPODITI DANCE & PERFORMING ARTS CENTREAkropoditi Dance & Performing Arts Centre
CYCLADIC ART GALLERYCycladic Art Gallery Theater
INDUSTRIAL MUSEUM OF SYROSTannery Kornelakis-Dendrinou
SPORTS CENTREDimitrios Vikelas
AKROPODITI DANCE & PERFORMING ARTS CENTRE
The Akropoditi Dance & Performing Arts Centre operates in Syros since January 2013. The two connected buildings used by the Center consist of one Studio for lessons and the Workshop Centre for artistic activities and events.
The main objective of the Studio is to create the appropriate environment for familiarization and a closer contact with classical and contemporary dance, and, more profoundly, with the research process in the field of movement and expression.
The main objectives of the Workshop Centre is the cultural development and promotion of the island, hosting and organizing artistic and educational programs, hosting performances and providing artistic residency to creators from around the world. The space is open to partnerships with local organizations, residents and artists of Syros, as well as the rest of the country and other countries, inviting people of all ages to participate in its activities.
Apart from the actions related to the dance and performing arts, the Centre offers housing to any other form of art, expression and creation. Preconditions of all activities are to support the cultivation of spirit and body, free creation, individual and group initiative through any action that contributes to the fulfillment and the development of the perceptual and expressive possibilities.
Cycladic Art Gallery
Since 1995, the Cycladic Art Gallery has been housed in four spaces of the southern wing of Transit Warehouses, which is located on the northern pier of the Syros Port in Ermoupolis (the so-called “Nisaki”).
The Gallery is managed by the Cultural Center of the Municipality and its atmospheric spaces host periodical art exhibitions. At the inner small theatre of the Gallery various performances and concerts take place.
The Transit Warehouses buildings are among the first ones built in Hermoupolis. They were built in 1834 – 1839 with state expenditure, on an Erlacher’s design.
The imposing building that dominates the area next to the warehouse complex and the Cycladic Art Gallery is the “Customs”, which completes the impressive first image that someone encounters at the port of Syros.
Industrial Museum of Syros
Kornellakis Tannery is a monumental complex with four buildings on both sides of a cobbled inner road. It was built around 1880 and housed a pre-existing tannery company of Menelaos Kornilakis, that had been founded in 1853-1854. At the end of the century the company introduced the steam engines and the first machines for the processing of leathers.
In 1930 the company was bought by “Dendrinos & Koutsis” corporation and in 1970 the factory ceased to operate and gradually degraded. In 1998, the Municipality of Hermoupolis proceeded to the purchase of the land by the Ktimatiki Bank. In 2000, the building was declared as a preserved monument by the Ministry of Culture. Major components of mechanical equipment, such as the semi-diesel engine, the cylinder, the presses, the barrels and the benches, were saved in place and can be visited on the spot.
The main building of the tannery has already been restored,
while the completion of the project is to be included
in the European Development Programs.
Upon completion, the building complex will become
a modern and fully equipped multi-cultural area.
Sports Centre Dimitrios Vikelas
The “Dimitrios Vikelas” Sports Centre of the Municipality of Syros-Ermoupolis is located near by the sea and next to a small traditional shipyard (Karnagio). It is fully equipped, including indoor gyms, open-air courts and a swimming pool.
*Demetrios Vikelas was born in Syros and he was the first President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), from 1894 to 1896.